Workshops and Conferences
We are continouosly involved in organising conferences and workshops with various acadmeic and professional communities across different fields.
- We are organising the third iteration of the International Workshop on News Information Retrieval in conjunction with SIGIR 2019. This workshop was previoulsy hosted at ECIR in 2016 and 2018.
- We participate in Text Analytics Meet-ups in London, including giving a presentation at their 2015 Christmas Special. We have also hosted the event several times.
- Signal presented work on duplicate detection in news search at the BCS Search Solutions 2015 as well as serving on the organising committee.
Seminars in Signal
We hold regular seminars in our London-based headquarter, where we welcome researcher from academia and industry discussing topics around NLP, IR and general news text processing.
- 20/8/2019, Between Dystopia and Euphoria (AI in journalism), Dr Colin Porlezza (City, University of London)
- 27/03/2019, Personal Knowledge Graphs, Krisztian Balog (University of Stavanger, Norway)
- 20/03/2019, Supporting information seeking behaviour with information visualization, Orland Hoeber (University of Regina)
- 30/01/2019, R&D at the BBC, quote extraction, Chris Newell (Lead Technologist at BBC R&D)
- 14/11/2018, A modern Bayesian Workflow, Peadar Coyle (PyMC3 committer, Blogger and Data Scientist)
- 31/10/2018, Exploring Potential Pathways to Address Bias and Ethics in IR, Steven Zimmerman (University of Essex)
- 11/09/2018, Scaling Customer Service with Machine Learning, Neal Lathia (Data Scientist at Monzo)
- 15/08/2018, Information Nutrition Labels, Ahmet Aker (research fellow at the University of Duisburg-Essen)
- 30/05/2018, Detecting deception in text using NLP methods, Massimo Poesio (Queen Mary University of London)
- 23/05/2018, Mobile search in common distracting contexts, Morgan Harvey (Northumbria University)
- 05/03/2018, Production ML, Eddie Bell (Head of Machine Learning at Ravelin)
- 11/1/2018, Visualising Discussions, Jon Chamberlain (University of Essex)
- 05/12/2017, Controversy Detection and Analysis, Shiri Dori-Hacohen (CEO & Co-Founder at AuCoDe)
- 15/06/2017, "Continuous Active Learning for eDiscovery and Information Governance", Jeremy Pickens (Catalyst Repository Systems)
- 29/03/2017, A Quantum Model for Information Access and Retrieval, Ingo Frommholz (University of Bedfordshire)
- 08/03/2017, Effective Data Pipelines: Data Mngmt from Chaos, Katharine Jarmul (Founder @kjamistan)
- 01/02/2017, When to Plummet and When to Soar: Corpus Based Verb Selection for Natural Language Generation @ London Text Analytics Meetup, Vassilis Plachouras (Senior Research Scientist, Thomson Reuters)
- 01/02/2017, Improving Natural Language Communication Using Speech Analytics @ London Text Analytics Meetup, Danica Damljanovic (Sentient Machines)
- 29/11/2016, Query Efficiency Prediction and Green Search Engines Craig Macdonald (University of Glasgow)
- 09/11/2016, Deep Reinforcement Learning in Doom, Dino Ratcliffe (University of Essex)
- 08/06/2016, Never bored with recommendations: PhD, RankSys, Mendeley, Saul Vargas (Mendeley)
- 23/03/2016, JUICE: New Digital Creativity Support for Journalists, Neil Maiden (Cass Business School, City University)
- 09/03/2016, Word2Vec applications to Sponsored Search, Fabrizio Silvestri (Yahoo!)
- 27/01/2016, On Predicting Text Quality, Annie Louis (University of Essex)
- 06/01/2016, Teaching new dogs old tricks: End users interacting with intelligent machines, Simone Stumpf (City University)
- 11/11/2015, Lumi Social News: A smart and fun reader for personalised feeds of crowd-curated content, Gabriela Kazai (Lumi)
- 06/10/2015, Rumor Detection in Social Media, Arkaitz Zubiaga (Warwick University)